Monday, February 16, 2009

The impulse buy I may really regret

Well, we had a casualty in our family...

No, no humans or pets, but almost as bad.

My camera died.

For those who know me well, there is nothing unusual about me sending out a photo album of recent pics with more than 200, or even 300 photos. Notice a lack of photos lately? Well, there's been a series of glitches and twitches that I kept brushing aside as if they were nothing. First the shutter wouldn't open... or close... all the way. No big deal, I say, as I flick it open with my nail. Then, sometimes it would just randomly turn off on its own.

Well, this weekend, I couldn't get it to turn on. I charged the battery and determined that that wasn't the issue. The camera had D-I-E-D. It has passed on to a better life.

Not a big deal - there are lots of stores around here and plenty of time, right? WRONG. Nicole arrives for her visit TOMORROW. If you think I'm OK with missing photos of our first get-together in 18 months, you're crazy. She's one of my best friends. She's my freakin' maid of honor. Hellooooo.

So, late last night, I scoured the Internet for a similar camera that could arrive um, in the next 48 hours.

I found one site that not only had a newer version on sale, but could also have it on my doorstep by tomorrow morning. Hmm, could it be too good to be true? I hesitated for all of oh, five seconds, and entered my little credit card information like quickfire.

Then, this morning, an e-mail asking me to call Victor at *800-blah-blah-blah to verify my information. Huh? Sounds fishy. I call anyway.

In a thick New York accent, a woman on a recording tells me to enter the proper extension or hold for an operator. I enter Victor's digits and wait, debating whether or not to bring out the Jersey accent.

A man comes on the phone and honestly says something I can't even understand. I tell him about the e-mail and he says, "Yeah, I know, what's your order numba?"

Oh, how I love East Coast-ers. Just cut to the chase, lady.

So all he confirms is the make and model of the camera and then proceeds to ask me if I want to add on a battery or memory card. I tell him I don't need either and I can picture him like toppling out of his chair.

After a long pause: "That's like buyin a cah without wheels, ma'am."

"I already have them from my old camera," I reply with a smile.

"Oh, well, alright then. I'll ship this right out for you. I just wanted to check that 'cause I thought you were nuts for not adding them on. You'll have the camera tomorrow morning."

Ahhh, nothing like straight-up honesty in sales. How refreshing!

Now, if only the camera arrives before Nicole. Eeeeeeesh. Fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment