Wednesday, October 21, 2009

"You just try to keep moving forward..."

 My job never ceases to introduce me to fascinating people.

I interviewed a really sweet family today. A family who oozed strength and love.

My subject for my next spotlight story for the paper is a 79-year-old woman who less than a year ago, following a debilitating stroke around Christmas, was told (well, her family was told), that she may never say anything other than 'yes' or 'no' and that they should prepare for the worst.

Well she really showed them.

She made complete, clear, easy-to-understand sentences during our interview today. Better yet? She knew dates, time periods and names quicker than anyone else in the room. And she had a super sense of humor, too. Gosh, she was so quick!

Her husband kept petting her affectionately, calling her "Mom" and "Babes."
"This is my sweetheart," he said with a smile.

After all they've been through, he said he would do it all over again, because that's just what you do for the "prettiest lady in town."

Gosh, this is love, I thought, in its truest and most beautiful form. To Hell and back and still using pet names and looking at the other person with deep love.

That will be Scott and me in 40 or 50 or 60 years, I thought. No matter the funks, the sorrows, the disappointments, we will be best friends and companions through it all. Because that's how we've made it work so far. And because our friendship is at the core of our relationship and love.

Hit us with your best shot, world. I'd do it all over again if I had to.

No comments:

Post a Comment