Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Let the world change you

I promise I won't be turning this blog into a series of movie reviews. We've just been enjoying a few days of downtime with nothing but us and our handy-dandy DVD player (and our dusty DVDs).

'Gemela', this one's for you.

Let the world change you and you can change the world...

...So says the 2004 spanish-language film The Motorcycle Diaries. The movie follows the guy who would soon be known worldwide as 'Che' and his friend Alberto Granado on a journey across South America, years before Che would become a famous revolutionary rubbing shoulders with Fidel Castro.

That part is fascinating in its own right, but the part that draws me are the places and people along the continent that they see on their journey.

I saw this movie one year before I took my own South American journey -- one that changed my own life in so many ways... bringing me one of my best friends and a lot of smack-you-in-the-face life lessons.

I long for mi argentina; I miss the home that I only knew for a couple of months. It is a part of me I can never leave. I can't even explain why or how it managed to have such an impact on me, but I'm simply grateful it did.




Wandering around our America
has changed me more than I thought. I am not me any more. At least I'm not the same me I was.




This isn’t a tale of heroics, nor is it merely some kind of ‘cynical account’; it isn’t meant to be, at least. It’s a chunk of two lives running parallel for a while, with common aspirations and similar dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment